[mythtvnz] Hardware Recommendations

Rob Connolly rob at webworxshop.com
Tue Oct 4 10:04:16 BST 2011

Hi All,

I'm moving towards buiding a dedicated Myth box/home server system and
am looking for hardware recommendations. It will be a
front-end-back-end system and I'm also toying with the idea of moving
my current VPS setup onto it as a KVM virtual machine. There will also
probably be no end of other uses I can find for it once it's actually
in place and running.

With all this to consider I'm thinking that the machine will have to be
fairly beefy. I've been looking at the new AMD Processors (specifically
the A8-3850 [0]), but I'm not sure whether to go for that or swallow
the extra cost of an i5. The integrated graphics in the AMD processors
is of little interest as I'll probably go for an Nvidia card so that I
can run VDPAU (assuming the integrated graphics can be turned off?).

As I'm going to be running the thing in my living room noise and power
usage are also concerns, so any tips there will be well received.

I haven't built a PC in a few years, so all recommendations are welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Rob Connolly