[mythtvnz] configuring hvr-2200 card

David Moore dmoo1790 at ihug.co.nz
Sat Oct 1 04:51:17 BST 2011

On 01/10/11 00:35, Robin Gilks wrote:
> Me again!!
>

>> Then I manually patched the saa7164 source using this info:
>>
>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.video-input-infrastructure/26212/focus=26524
>>

> I'm OK up to this point and then the referred page talks of
> saa7164-cards.c and saa7164-encoder.c, both of which appear to be more
> up-to-date in the git clone git://linuxtv.org/media_build.git sources than
> the ones at
> http://git.linuxtv.org/media_tree.git?a=tree;f=drivers/media/video/saa7164;h=0acaa4ada45ae6881bfbb19447ae9db43f06ef9b;hb=staging/for_v2.6.37-rc1

Yes, I think you're right. I hadn't noticed this but I do have the
latest version. I know this because I get nagged at boot about how I'm
using dangerous, non-production, experimental drivers. :-)

I have been browsing the source a fair bit and playing with v4l2-ctl to
see what can be changed. It seems there is a lot unfinished wrt v4l2
controls. Some functions even seem to do nothing and/or return zero
regardless of inputs.

One thing I was kind of hoping to tweak was encoder resolution. It seems
to be stuck on 720x576 and I can't see a way to change this. The major
problem is no info on how to control the hardware or even what it is
capable of doing. Seems like Hauppauge keep this info locked up tight.
Bah! Closed IP about hardware is a perennial problem for Linux. :-(