[mythtvnz] DVB-T recording artefacts after upgrade to Mythbuntu 11.10 with HVR2200

David Shepherd david at daveshep.net.nz
Mon Nov 28 01:42:49 GMT 2011

> Hi,
>
> I use a DVB-T Hauppauge HVR-2200 to record FreeviewHD and play back with
> VDPAU. All was working fine with Mythbuntu 11.04 and then I upgraded to
> 11.10. (My first attempt was updating through Update Manager and that
> resulted in my system not booting any more, probably to do with some
> LightDM setting, but I ended up reinstalling from scratch.)
>
> Since we upgraded, we are getting intermittent strange visual artefacts
> in the recordings, where blockiness gets worse until it is bad enough
> that minutes of a program will be completely unwatchable and sound is
> distorted to the point that we can't understand it.
>
> The new features aren't that compelling, so if nobody has any ideas I'll
> just roll it back to the old Clonezilla image of 11.04 (I learnt that
> trick a while ago!!!)
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Aaron

Hmmm, this is interesting.  I'm getting exactly the same behaviour with my
HVR-2200.  I'm in Auckland and have line of sight to SkyTower and
Waiatarua. I get the same symptoms on all 3 HD channels with my aerial
pointing to either transmitter.  Reception through my TV is perfect and
signal/quality are both 8+/10.  So I'm thinking it's HVR-2200 driver or
firmware or graphics related.

The symptoms I see are exactly as you describe.  2-3 mins of progressively
degrading video then audio.  Then it snaps back to perfect picture and
audio.  This pattern reoccurs at random intervals of 20-60 mins.

If you flick back to your Clonezilla image of 11.04 and the problem goes
away, I'd be very interested in knowing which combination of HVR-2200
driver/firmware and graphics card your running.

I'm running 0.24.1+fixes from the Debian Multimedia Stable repository on
top of Debian Squeeze with a stock 2.6.32 kernel.  VDPAU via a GT210 (bit
underpowered I know)

Anyone else seeing same behaviour?

Dave