[mythtvnz] graphics card options

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 19:16:52 GMT 2011

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 10:37 PM, Curtis Walker <sultanoswing at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 21/11/11 22:09, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>> On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 17:35:44 +1300, you wrote:

>>> These things are regularly commented on in the mythtv-users list,
>>> although most of the discussion is about the USA where there is not so
>>> much h264 broadcast, although if it works with bluray, it should
>>> handle anything.
>> No, it looks like handling BluRay properly does not let you know if
>> the deinterlacing performance is up to the job, as BluRay is
>> progressive.  I have now found a thread on the MythTV Users list that
>> says that the 520 is not up to doing Advanced 2x deinterlace mode for
>> MythTV, so it is not good enough to handle the 1080i TV programmes
>> which are common in NZ.  One owner of a 520 confirmed that.  There was
>> also some other comment that the GT 430 may also be in the same
>> situation, not having enough shader performance to do the
>> deinterlacing, but I have not confirmed that.  So it looks like the
>> best card is still a GT 220, which basically rules out an under $100
>> price tag for a silent one.  This is the one I have:
>>
>> http://www.elive.co.nz/asus-gt-220-silent-video-sy2397.php
>>
>> which has a number of optional extras I am not using (eg remote
>> control).  There may be a lower price somewhere in NZ, but I doubt it
>> will be below $130.  The only other silent GT 220 model I have seen
>> advertised in NZ was a Zotac one, but when I clicked on the buy link
>> it wanted to charge me $80 for shipping, so it was not actually in
>> stock in NZ.

> That silent GT220 is listed as "out of stock". As such, you'd have to
> think it unlikely they'll be getting anymore in, if usual practice
> applies (as it does for older hardware).

I have one and it is great, not problems, it even fits in my HP
slimline case (although depends on the case very much, the heatsink is
huge.

> I found the GT430 adequate for watching 1080i (at least with my i5-750
> CPU). I used the Rugby World Cup semifinal (NZ vs Aussie) as my test
> video, tried all of the deinterlace settings and options, and it did do
> Advanced 2x no problem, no stuttering and no tearing. Lots of fast
> motion, being rugby.
>
> As mentioned above, it does stutter and tear with a composite desktop
> enabled - but so do all NVIDIA cards to a greater or lesser degree
> (including my GTX460). This is a function of VDPAU and the X server, and
> is not something NVIDIA seems readily able to fix. Disabling composite
> when watching Myth is fine. The tearing with composite enabled is less
> pronounced on the GTX460 than the GT430, FWIW.
>
> For your purposes, a quiet, or silent GT430 would seem to be ideal -
> especially if you run it on a Frontend without a compositing window manager.

You don't need a compositing window manager on a frontend. If it is
doubling as a desktop, it's not really a myth machine IMHO.

Yes, chipset-->decoding
shaders-->de-interlacing.

Sorry my post above was on the wrong basis, for the reasons given by
the responders.