[mythtvnz] graphics card options

Brett mythicalbeast at slingshot.co.nz
Mon Nov 21 08:34:13 GMT 2011

> > You need C or D feature set, but the reports on the GT 210 cards are
> > that they are just a little bit shy of the power needed to handle
> > H.264 HD video without any glitches.  Which is why I got a silent GT
> > 220 at my last upgrade, and I have been very pleased with the result.
> >
> > My last encounter with fans as on that GT 430 card was that they can
> > be very noisy, which is a real problem for a PC that is normally
> > parked in the living room next to the TV.  You really want a silent
> > video card, as the GPU fan(s) are now normally the loudest component
> > in a PC.
> >

> > I am thinking that the best option now is the new GT 520 chip set.
> > There seem to be silent cards using this:

>  But we really need to see a report from a MythTV user to be sure as
> > the 520 also seems a little light on shader hardware like the 210.  It
> > does have even better H.264 support, so that might not be a problem.
>

> These things are regularly commented on in the mythtv-users list,
> although most of the discussion is about the USA where there is not so
> much h264 broadcast, although if it works with bluray, it should
> handle anything.
>From what I have read..
The new feature set D GT520 vdpau decode bit stream processor is capable
of twice the throughput of set C. So 2 full HD streams (real stereo).
The shader performance is similar to GT210; not very good.

BD material is mostly progressive scan so there is little for the
shaders to have to do.
It would be nice (for BD playback) if the shader programs included frame
creation similar to VA de-interlacing. This is driver software not h/w &
could already exist.

So if you like BD 24p & don't care about VA de-interlaced broadcast then
GT520 is a good buy.

Have only watched one BD in Myth so am not convinced about the 24p
look...