[mythtvnz] graphics card options

Curtis Walker sultanoswing at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 01:08:54 GMT 2011

On 21/11/2011, Roger Searle <roger.searle at gmail.com> wrote:
> <http://www.dragonpc.co.nz/p.aspx?214439>Hi, I am in the middle of
> setting up a dedicated myth front end box that has onboard everything
> including an HDMI port, and an empty PCI-e slot.  I'm recycling an ATX
> motherboard/amd cpu, a couple of years old and modest specs for that
> time (not sure which board/cpu off the top of my head but it is nvidia
> video) in a full size box.  I'm yet to determine if the HDMI port "just
> works" or can be made to work, being a simple but probably only interim
> connection to an HD TV.  Thus far I have a functional myth installation
> that displays fine on an LCD monitor.  Total expenditure so far is zero.
>
> I am weighing up the best course to follow.  The main feedback I am
> interested in assumes the better choice is to have a dedicated card,
> primarily since it hands off the processing from the CPU to the card and
> that the onboard HDMI port + cpu isn't going to manage 1080i/p.  Seems
> VDPAU, h.264, and the usual "more RAM is good" is where to pay
> attention.  This wikipedia page seems to be a good summary of cards:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_PureVideo
>
> suggesting feature set C and a GeForce 210, I believe is this from Dragon:
>
> http://www.dragonpc.co.nz/p.aspx?230501
>
> or the more modern feature set D and a GeForce 430:
>
> http://www.dragonpc.co.nz/p.aspx?214439
>
> Any feedback on these options or similar would be appreciated.
> Hopefully I am correctly lining up the relevant specs.  Both cards are
> low profile capable which offers some future proofing should I build
> something in a smaller form factor.  Would there be much difference
> noticeable between a C or D feature set capable card in a myth FE box?
> Is there something else I should also be paying attention to?
>
> I see the 430 has 2 fans, just how quiet would they be?  Is the
> passively cooled 210 a better option if noise is given weight or is this
> not much of an issue in practice?
>
> Are there similar cards I should consider in that <$100 price range?
> Other local (esp Chch) suppliers?
>
> Cheers,
> Roger

I'd favour a dedicated card (the VDPAU post-processing and full-screen
interlacing techniques are worth it) - and I'd go for the GT430 ...
just a little more grunt to ensure your 1080i/p is smooth (although no
Nvidia card will do composite desktops like Gnome 3 and VDPAU without
tearing on HD material.).

I have a GT430 (now for sale, since I upgraded to a GTX460), and it
was nice and quiet. The silent 210, from what I'ev read, only just has
enough grunt to do HD, since it has so few shaders.

I looked at this a couple of months back - let google be your friend
for additional info on the specific comparisons.