[mythtvnz] naive questions about Satellite and Australia channels

Brendan Dacre bjdacre at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 10:13:39 GMT 2011

On 19 November 2011 20:56, Jason Haar <jhaar-ourshack-com at whanau.org> wrote:

> Hi there

> I've heard that NZ (I'm in Chch if that matters) can pick up some
> Australian channels over Satellite, so my questions are:
>
> 1. does the Satellite dish need to be pointed in a particular
> "different" direction than it would for "Freeview NZ" satellite?

No, it's the same satellite (Optus D1:  Sky, Freeview, SBS, Nine, Gem, Go)

2. I "google-saw" some old posts about issues with polarity (polarity!!
> why do we even need to know about such things!!!) screwing up recording
> NZ and Australian shows. It was implied that was a red-herring and a
> single tuner should automagically know what to do with each channel - so
> I just wanted to check if that was the case

Both SBS (Tasmania) and Nine are on vertical polarity beams and Freeview
and Sky are horizontal.  It is not possible to tune a horizontal and
vertical beam on the same lnb simultaneously.  This is not a problem if you
have only a single tuner since they are on separate multiplexes anyway.
 But if you want to record more stuff simultaneously, it would be wise to
have a dual lnb as well as well as multiple tuners.  If you want Nine, Gem,
Go, you will also need a DVB S2 tuner.

4. The Big One: What's the best satellite USB tuners? I'm wanting a new
> smaller backend server and being able to throw out the PCI card and go
> USB tuner would help a lot. But I don't know how reliable USB tuners
> are? Once they're plugged in, are they rock solid or do they flake out
> on occasion? Also, can you record more than one show simultaneously on
> them (like PCI), or are they a one-show-at-a-time kind of thang

Some people say USB is fine.  My personal experience with a Volar HD (DVB
T) is that it has recording artefacts that my HVR 1200 does not have from
the same aerial.  I suspect it varies from tuner to tuner.

Brendan