[mythtvnz] Broken DVB-S setup

Noel & Diane noel at igrin.co.nz
Sat May 7 23:55:03 BST 2011

Start at the dish & follow the signal path!
Verify your dish/LNB are good, and if so then proceed to investigate
your card.
Either use a known-good freeview box to see if you get a signal or If
you cant do that (or if the box fails to acquire a signal) then;
First, use a "cheapie" satellite squealer ($15 off TM) on your coax, set
it to just start to make a noise then move your hand in front of the LNB
- if there is not a LARGE increase in noise (reflected of your hand)
from the squealer, then your LNB is kaput.
Second, Deflect the rim of the dish by 5mm or so (a gentle push with a
fingertip) and you should note a  drop of signal on the meter.  do this
for left/right and up/down deflections.  (your LNB coax exit point
should be roughly at the 8-O'clock position when viewed from the front
of the dish) This step will prove if your dish is correctly aligned.
I would expect a relatively greater signal from Freeview transponder
compared to the SBS transponder.
Thirdly, if the dish proves OK, use a command-line dvbtune -like command
(sorry not too sure on the syntax off the top of my head) to verify the
card responds correctly.

Good luck!!