[mythtvnz] Personal opinion - be careful about updating to natty

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon May 2 04:27:28 BST 2011

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 3:18 PM, Stephen Worthington
<stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
> On Mon, 2 May 2011 14:41:41 +1200, you wrote:
>
>>My 2 cents -
>>I remember all too well the botched upgrades and teething problems with
>>new ( or minor) releases of Ubuntu.
>>I now stick with the LTS releases and saved myself a lot of pain. 8-)
>>
>>64 4 931 3193
>>email g.woollett at irl.cri.nz
>
> Unfortunately, I need the new kernel to run my TeVii DVB-S2 card to
> get Sky EPG.  At the moment, I have to reboot to a newer kernel than
> 10.04 to do that, then reboot back to 10.04.  10.10 caused kernel
> OOPes for me, so I have not been running that either - I had to get an
> older mainline kernel to make 10.10 work without doing that.  So I am
> hoping that 11.04 will have fixed both - an alpha version I tried
> seemed OK.  But I am going to run it on a test partition first, before
> I try upgrading from 10.04.
>
> So does anyone know if you can upgrade directly from 10.04 to 11.04,
> or if you have to do the 10.10 upgrade first?  And how would I try to
> get 10.04 to upgrade to 11.04 directly?  It is still only offering the
> 10.10 upgrade in Update Manager.

I understand the only supported upgrades are from one release to the
next, or from one LTS to the next LTS (although that failed for me
last time).

Best advice I can give is make sure you have a backup of your
mythconverg database and can do a fresh install without deleting your
data.