[mythtvnz] About to install Myth for the first time.

Brett Davidson brett at davidson.gen.nz
Wed Mar 30 23:52:49 BST 2011

Using Mythbuntu to make it easy.

What's the difference between the "MythTVNetvision" and "MythNews" plugins. Both seem to use RSS - the former appears more useful. That correct?

Note the following config options that may or may not break things so thought I'd ask for advice. Want to do it right the first time. ;-)

First of all I am setting up a Hybrid machine which will then grow into multiple frontends. I have some grunty hardware on the backend.

I have already been told to use LAN address to configure Myth; not localhost.
I will be using a single 10KRPM disk for the MythDatabase - how do I specify this drive within the MythConfig?
The rest of the Myth build will be on the OS drive with my data residing on a RAID5 diskset.

What PAL settings should I use? We use PAL BG here. Do I configure this for PAL-BG or just use PAL?

Any recommended tuning options if I use XFS filesystem on all disks?

I have been following the latest Scanning discussions with interest. I only have DVB-T at present as I like HD. :-) What is the best option to use for gathering data here? (tv_grab_nz_py seems common). Is it worth adding Satellite abilities to grab down a non-vendor-restricted copy of the TV data (besides giving more tuning options)?

Mythbuntu says to install MPEG-2 card option for the Hauppage HVR2200 I'm using. However we don't use MPEG-2 here. Should I set this to V4L instead?

Is there an NZ listing source file or do I just scan for channels?

There. That should be enough questions for the moment. :-)