[mythtvnz] Slightly OT - which new TV

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 06:52:00 BST 2011

On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 17:53, Steve Holdoway <steve at greengecko.co.nz>wrote:

> On Sun, 2011-03-27 at 15:49 +1300, Steve Hodge wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 14:51, Steve Holdoway <steve at greengecko.co.nz>
> > wrote:
> >         On Sat, 2011-03-26 at 18:45 +1300, criggie at criggie.dyndns.org
> >         wrote:
> >         > They often rotate their monitors to allow for "portrait"
> >         mode for more
> >         > height.
> >         >
> >         > Must be possible for desktop usage, but would be an utter
> >         waste for mythtv.
> >         >
> >         >

> >         Not brilliant even for the desktop, as pixels aren't square...
> >
> > What do you mean?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_aspect_ratio
>
> A lot are now square ( they weren't when I was working in image
> processing but that was in the steam powered days - we had one expensive
> monitor with square pixels, the rest were 4x3 ).

I think you'd be hard pressed to find any new monitor which doesn't have
square pixels. I thought you might be referring to the individual colour
elements (as I said Windows doesn't understand how to do subpixel rendering
in portrait mode). But I wouldn't have though non-square pixels would cause
many problems anyway unless they were very rectangular.

Cheers,