[mythtvnz] Slightly OT - which new TV

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat Mar 26 04:10:34 GMT 2011

On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 14:50:21 +1300, you wrote:

>On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 13:47, <criggie at criggie.dyndns.org> wrote:
>
>> On 26/03/11 12:53, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>>
>> What I would really like is for TVs to be available that do not bother
>> > to have speakers, or even tuners, as both are really unnecessary when
>> > you are using MythTV and I hate having to pay for them.
>>
>> They exist - we call them monitors :)

Not really - there are not many (any?) monitors in 32" plus sizes that
are anything like the equivalent TV price.

>Unfortunately they don't come in 40+" varieties. And in many ways monitors
>have been replaced by TVs on computers, which is not a good thing. There
>aren't many monitors with resolutions above 1080p, those that exist are very
>pricey. Pixel size seems to be stuck at no more than 110ppi - my phone has a
>300ppi screen and I have a 12 year old CRT that's 120ppi. It's stuck because
>TVs don't need higher resolutions. And I may be in the minority here, but I
>much prefer 4:3 for monitors - I just don't see any benefit to the
>widescreen format for anything but video and some games. For anything
>involving reading vertical space is far more important than horiztonal space
>yet 4:3 monitors are getting rare. All because the panel manufacturers want
>to focus on TVs.

I agree about wanting vertical space, but I got a 1920x1200 monitor so
that it had the same vertical space as my old 19" CRT, and that works
very well.  I tend to use the extra horizontal screen space for all
sorts of useful but not totally necessary things.