[mythtvnz] New motherboard

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 11:18:51 BST 2011

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 20:43, criggie <criggie at criggie.org.nz> wrote:

> On 14/06/11 19:13, Steve Hodge wrote:
> > Despite having those two fans, the power supply fan, and 3 case fans the
> drives are the
> > noisiest components.
>
> Hence the continued interest in small + silent/quiet frontends + beefy
> backends located elsewhere.

If the drives are the main source of noise then I really don't think there
is much of a problem. And most FEs probably won't have four drives like my
desktop.

When I build my combined BE/FE I did pay attention to noise but I didn't go
overboard. That system has a stock CPU cooler, a good quality power supply
with a quiet fan, a single case fan and a fanless video card. And a single
drive. When I replace it I won't be too bothered if I can't get a quiet
video card. I'll probably pay more attention to cooling than noise to be
honest. But then we don't use the lounge that much without the TV on...

Cheers,