[mythtvnz] Hi Def - HD Homerun?

tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Thu Jun 9 02:10:14 BST 2011

On 9/06/2011 11:55 a.m., Nick Rout wrote:
> Having bought a bloody great big TV, I see the point of HD (or more
> particularly I see the jaggies in SD).
>
> No more room in the backend, having already 2 PCI DVB-S cards, so
> thought of an HDHR. Whats everyone's experience?
>
> I see it has two tuners, presumably you can do multirec?
>
> How are the channels distributed on the DVB-T multiplexes?
>
> Any other hints/advice?
>
> The specific model seems to be:
>
> http://www.digitalpride.co.nz/view-product/103/SiliconDust-Dual-HDHomeRun-DVB-T/

Hi Nick
That seems a new case!  Be aware of the
http://www.hdhomerun.co.nz/hdhomerun/hdhomerun_tech_brief.pdf fancier
version that is in the older form factor that a number of listers have.
  I've used mine more as a live tuner than for myth TV and have also
used it on holiday with a router and notebook to watch TV on a mythbuntu
notebook, over 802.11g.  576i always worked and 1080i worked most of the
time, a N grade router might be better.
I understand multi rec is fine.
Also note http://www.hdhomerun.co.nz/support/hdhomerun/instructions/
including the development guide.
I wrote a php app on the LAN to control the channels and volume and
direct the stream, it basically works however it needs a tickle up to
iron out some subtle bugs and is now out of date with the recent channel
changes, it used a .asx file to open VLC on the client PC.  The
intention was to run it from an android phone as well for remote control
of a separate PC, I've not yet got TV showing on a Galaxy S2 from the
Hdhomerun but expect that should be possible too now!
The cost is expensive compared to other card options (when you have the
space!) however they give excellent IRC support and there is a steady
stream of firmware and software updates that no other tuner product can
match that I've seen.  The Hdhomerun manual client software ("Config
GUI") is also a default mythbuntu inclusion.  Its also good for testing,
seeing what channels are currently on the various channels!  e.g.
firmware uploads and new channels.
I hope that wets your appetite enough?!