[mythtvnz] Interesting looking frontend?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 04:37:17 BST 2011

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 11:15 AM, Craig Whitmore <lennon at orcon.net.nz> wrote:

> On 15/07/11 10:30 AM, "Nick Rout" <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 10:01 AM, Andrew Ruthven <andrew at etc.gen.nz>
>>wrote:
>>> Atom D525 1.8GHz box with a Intel GMA 3150 graphics chip.
>>>

>>>https://www.firstin.co.nz/products/foxconn-home-theatre-barebones-system-
>>>5573/
>>>
>>> No RAM or HDD is included though.
>>>
>>> Cheers!
>>>

>>Shame it's not ion based :(
>
> But it does have a BCM70015 in it (as far as I can tell from the specs)

Where does it say that?

> which will do all the video decoding in hardware which is supported under
> linux.

There is initial support only in mythtv and further support seems to
be bogged down by Broadcom's rather feeble support for linux. All talk
and no action seems to be the go. See the mythtv users list, where one
of the devs for the driver resides. I wouldn't rely on one of these
cards whe ion works out of the box.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/481792?search_string=BCM70012%20;#481792

For $500 on trademe you can get a revo with ion complete with ram and
hard drive. By the time you add a drive and ram to the foxconn you'll
probably be over that and still be without graphics acceleration.