[mythtvnz] Total fail after update

James Booth james at booths.net.nz
Sun Jan 30 23:05:47 GMT 2011

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 10:45:46 Nick Rout wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 10:30 AM, Steve Holdoway <steve at greengecko.co.nz>
wrote:
> > On Mon, 2011-01-31 at 09:48 +1300, James Booth wrote:
> >> Yesterday I rebooted my combined master backed/frontend machine
> >> (Mythbuntu with JYA's repositories) after a kernel update and had a
> >> total fail with X. While the logon manager will come up, when I log on
> >> I simply cannot get an X session, I can't even get it to run in
> >> failsafe low graphics mode. I have a GT220 card, driver is 260.19.06,
> >> kernel is now at 2.6.35-25.
> >>
> >> Every time I try to logon I get this in dmesg:
> >>
> >> mtrr: no MTRR for cf000000,e00000 found
> >>
> >> I have also been seeing this:
> >>

> >> NVRM: os_raise_smp_barrier(), invalid context
> >>
> >> From various forums I see this appears to be an on-going issue with
> >> nVidia drivers and the GT220/240/etc cards. I've tried booting with
> >> earlier kernels with no success. Has anyone else ssen this? Anyone got
> >> a suggestion for a fix?
> >>
> >> Cheers.
> >

> > I don't know if this is a solution, but there's no reason not to
> > download the latest nvidia drivers directly from
> > http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
>
> except that you might not want to step outside your distros packaging
system...

I now find that while I can log in with the new user account, I do not have
vdpau. Re-ran install of the video drivers and got this in the output:

update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/nvidia-current/ld.so.conf to provide
/etc/ld.so.conf.d/GL.conf (gl_conf) in auto mode.
update-alternatives: warning: skip creation of
/usr/lib32/vdpau/libvdpau_nvidia.so.1 because associated file
/usr/lib32/nvidia-current/vdpau/libvdpau_nvidia.so.1 (of link group gl_conf)
doesn't exist.
update-alternatives: warning: skip creation of /usr/lib32/libvdpau_nvidia.so
because associated file /usr/lib32/nvidia-current/vdpau/libvdpau_nvidia.so (of
link group gl_conf) doesn't exist.

I chcked both /usr/lib32/vdpau and /usr/lib32/nvidia-current and they are
empty.