[mythtvnz] Total fail after update

James Booth james at booths.net.nz
Sun Jan 30 22:37:38 GMT 2011

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 10:45:46 Nick Rout wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 10:30 AM, Steve Holdoway <steve at greengecko.co.nz>
wrote:
> > On Mon, 2011-01-31 at 09:48 +1300, James Booth wrote:
> >> Yesterday I rebooted my combined master backed/frontend machine
> >> (Mythbuntu with JYA's repositories) after a kernel update and had a
> >> total fail with X. While the logon manager will come up, when I log on
> >> I simply cannot get an X session, I can't even get it to run in
> >> failsafe low graphics mode. I have a GT220 card, driver is 260.19.06,
> >> kernel is now at 2.6.35-25.
> >>
> >> Every time I try to logon I get this in dmesg:
> >>
> >> mtrr: no MTRR for cf000000,e00000 found
> >>
> >> I have also been seeing this:
> >>

> >> NVRM: os_raise_smp_barrier(), invalid context
> >>
> >> From various forums I see this appears to be an on-going issue with
> >> nVidia drivers and the GT220/240/etc cards. I've tried booting with
> >> earlier kernels with no success. Has anyone else ssen this? Anyone got
> >> a suggestion for a fix?
> >>
> >> Cheers.
> >

> > I don't know if this is a solution, but there's no reason not to
> > download the latest nvidia drivers directly from
> > http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
>
> except that you might not want to step outside your distros packaging
system...

OK, I have blitzed all existing drivers and installed 260.19.36 from the
NVidia site. Now it gets weird: I still cannot start an X session as the usual
default (and only) user, however, I created a new user account and I can start
an X session with that one.

I am not very knowledgable on X, but checked a few things and found that my
user accounts .Xauthority file was owned by root. Have changed ownership back
to the user account but still no luck. (Picked that up thanks to a warning
message when using ssh to remotly log in)

Given that for whatever reason the .Xauthority file ownership changed, can
anyone suggest what else I should check?

Thanks all,
James.