[mythtvnz] MB/processor for HD BE/FE

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 07:02:17 GMT 2011

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 7:44 PM, David Middleton <david at fishstat.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I was wondering if anyone had any motherboard and processor
> recommendations for a combined back/frontend system?  My current
> system (pre VDPAU) is probably noisier than it needs to be, so I'm
> interesting in a quieter system built around a passive GT220 card.

Backend's don't have to do much UNLESS you want to transcode or
commflag. The processor possibly doesn't matter too much, but low
power and low temp is a good goal. Frontend CPU doesn't have to do
much if material is vdpau acceleratable.

Given that I have an amd sempron backend, single core, no
hyperthreading and power usage that heats a cupboard to unbearable
temps, I can hardly talk. (BE only)

Nice 220 card is the one I have in a frontend:

http://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=AA22908

However I have been informed that the 430 is smaller, uses less power
and has similar capabilities. No one seems to know of a silent one
available in NZ though.