[mythtvnz] Possibly OT: UPS question [SOLVED]

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Fri Jan 14 06:53:11 GMT 2011

> Greetings all
>
> I've just replaced (or at least trying to!!) the  UPS on my backend. My
> preference is to have all those disks let down carefully in the event of a
> power failure:)
>
> I've got a Dynamix 1700 that uses a USB connection back to the PC. I've
> tried NUT which always worked fine with my APC UPS but no go with this
> one.
>
> I've also tried the included software as well but that wants to talk to a
> serial port on the UPS - not a lot of good when its a USB port!!

Well, if you bash your head against the wall for long enough you either
get a headache or a solution - I got the latter!!

The included software burst into life when I used the virtual device name
of 'hid' which at least proved everything worked.

I then hunted about until I found a patch for the blazer_usb NUT driver
which seems to have solved pretty much all the problems except I can't
read the remaining battery life from the UPS. The supplied software can so
I guess I'll have to get a USB tracer installed and see what goes on.

I haven't played with the NUT config for several years (my Gentoo servers
tend to have a looooong lifetime) but I recall that it can do a shutdown
after a set period of time. Provided the server shuts down before the UPS
I'm happy!!

To reiterate the story of the existing APC UPS - its on its way out and
its NOT a battery problem. They used to last 2-3 years, now I'm lucky if I
get 3 months and it does random switches to battery now as well (which of
course shuts down the server). Its running at 50% load these days rather
than the 60% load of back in the AMD Thunderbird CPU days so if anything
it should be going better, not worse :(

Cheers all for the feedback though...

--
Robin Gilks