[mythtvnz] MCEUSB IR Blaster problem after upgrade to Mythbuntu 11.04 and Kernel

Ross Williamson ross at inertia.net.nz
Fri Aug 19 01:16:35 BST 2011

> From that point on the MCEUSB IR Blaster stopped working. After
> trying
> a number of solutions I finally did a fresh installation of Mythbuntu
> 11.04 - still no luck.

I had huge issues with IR in general after upgrading to 11.04 (actually
a fresh copy). It would respond to the MCEUSB remote but completely
stopped receiving IR commands for any other remote (important as I also
use it as an IR sender to equipment in another building). IR blasting
appeared to work however.

irw failed to see any of the keypresses. I fiddled with config and
kernel modules and settings and lirc versions for about 6 hours before
giving up and going back to 10.10 with latest mythtv ppa. The same
config on there worked perfectly, first time.

They appear to have done significant work to how IR works in the latest
kernel and I would suspect this is the reason.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I've been there and it is somewhat
fresh in my memory as being a very painful experience. I'll be very
interested if you find a solution as obviously I can't stay on old
versions forever.

Ross