[mythtvnz] BIOS boot screen (was Re: HD Video jerky...)

Jason Taylor killerkiwi2005 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 06:08:26 BST 2011

On 15 August 2011 16:25, Ross Williamson <ross at inertia.net.nz> wrote:

> >> However I get no bios output at all... nothing until the machine's
> >> booted and starts X.
> >
> > I was wondering if this was common, I've got a 5-6 year old Dick Smith
> (made by KTV) 720 LCD panel which if I have DSUB and HDMI plugged in gives
> no HDMI output at certain resolutions (ie console).  If HDMI only is plugged
> in I get horrible continuous flashing situation with  console/bios boot
> displayed normally followed by a completely green screen.
>
> My recent-ish (~1 year old) Sony displays the BIOS screens fine via HDMI,
> though they do have a large black border around them. My parents' brand new
> Samsung behaves the same way. I've never used VGA with the TV (never had any
> need to) so I don't know what that's like.

My Samsung works with correct resolution with HDMI but my parents needs
overscan adjustment to fill the screen (?!!??!)...

Also using the VGA port on my Samsung when booting linux caused the picture
via HDMI to be permanently red
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-371139.html
Managed to work around it by using the service menu and pushing red all the
way down but was/is very anoying

Jason Taylor

--
"Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely
pointless. " - Calven