[mythtvnz] HD Video jerky...

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 04:50:37 BST 2011

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 15:28, Worik Stanton <worik.stanton at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 15/08/11 15:15, Joel Wiramu Pauling wrote:
> > How a mobo manufacturer arranges their card slots on their PCB's has
> > nothing to do with the price of fish;-)  Or the standard as defined.
> >
> What I mean is the PCI-e x 16 illustrated is the same as that in the
> photos of gear described as PCI-e with no further qualifiers.

In the case of graphics cards, if it just says PCIe it'll be x16. I think
it'd be pretty unusual to find a PCIe motherboard which doesn't have an x16
slot these days.

For other types of cards PCIe alone would generally mean x1. Note that a
"smaller" card will work in a "larger" slot, e.g. a x1 card will fit and
work in a x16 slot. Some motherboards have open ended slots that also permit
a "larger" card to work in a smaller slot (i.e. you may be able to put a x16
card in an x8 slot). You can also buy adapters that'll interface between a
larger card and a smaller slot. See for example
http://www.adexelec.com/pciexp.htm#PEXP4-SX-4/1. Obviously these might mean
that the card doesn't fit well into the case though.

The main thing to be careful of is the distinction between PCI and PCIe.

Cheers,