[mythtvnz] HD Video jerky...

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 01:24:54 BST 2011

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 11:46 AM, Worik Stanton <worik.stanton at gmail.com> wrote:
> Using all the good people's help here I think my solution is:
>
> A dx6100 Compaq P4 that I can get delivered for $75

I have (I think) a 7100 and it works fine with an nvidia card

> A Gigabyte 8400GS 512M PCI-E Video Card that I can get for $52 plus
> shipping
> (http://einfo.co.nz/shop/gigabyte-8400gs-512m-pcie-video-card-dvi-p-20902.html
> thanks to pricespy)

good, but if you are going the whole new computer thing, you may like
to get a GT220 or 430, both of which will give better performance and
possibly use less power.

The other thing is, you definitely need a half height card if you are
getting the small form factor PC. The one you are looking at seems to
be narrow enough IF you get a half height back plane AND can do
without VGA.

Further, your machine will be quieter if you get a fanless one.

> That video card has DVI connector thingi that I can connect to my TV
> (using VGA input on TV currently, not very satisfactory)

Do you have DVI or HDMI on the TV, if so it will work.

> Have I a reasonable chance of compatibility?  The card is on
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU#Supported_Cards as supported for VGA at
> least.

It is well supported in linux

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Desktops/No-monitor/auction-398940068.htm