[mythtvnz] Lirc & MCE Remote

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 05:46:58 BST 2011

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 4:18 PM, Mark de Reeper <mark.dereeper at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Johan
>>>
>>> I feel your pain, I have 3 frontends and have different remotes on each
>>> one.
>>> I am this week embarking on a project to make the remotes on all three the
>>> same and also reduce it to one remote to operate both myth and the tv's.
>>> This has proven more difficult than I had imagined. My experimentation
>>> with
>>> universal learning remotes was a dismal failure.
>>> Where did you get your MCE remote, they are very difficult to get now?
>>>
>>> So much so that I have resorted to ordering XBox Wireless Gaming Receivers
>>> and the XBox Universal Remotes. They are very similar to the MCE remotes
>>> in
>>> that they can learn but I am anticipating some LIRC fun getting them
>>> working. I'll report back on my success as I imagine it will be a similar
>>> process to get these working.
>>>
>>> Toby
>>
>> I just recently got an MCE remote kit from
>>  http://www.computerstore.co.nz/UPC0335.aspx
>> I was very happy to get change out of $50 including postage and GST. It
>> includes an IR blaster as well :)
>>
>> It just worked out of the box (once I'd corrected the config file name!!)
>
> Good to know, the one I got from Jaycar has been really unreliable (not sending button presses then sending 5-10 in bursts)
> http://jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=XC4889 so have been looking for a replacement.

not every MCE remote is the same technology. There are various
combinations of transmitters and receivers, with some receivers being
HID devices, which can be tricky to get going as they do not conform
to the traditional "lirc" models.

personally I am using a sony ps3 bluray remote and a bluray|usb stick.
it works tolerably well. also use the android phone, whichever has
charged batteries really.