[mythtvnz] Suspend/Hibernate on Ubuntu 10.04 desktop?

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Tue Sep 14 11:20:29 BST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Wade Maxfield" <mythtvnz at hotblack.co.nz>
To: <mythtvnz at lists.linuxnut.co.nz>
Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 2010 10:12 PM
Subject: [mythtvnz] Suspend/Hibernate on Ubuntu 10.04 desktop?

> On a slightly different topic, I'm trying to set up a FE only machine using Ubuntu 10.04 (which is mostly successful) using an old
> Athlon64 3200+.
>
> The basics have come together but I haven't figured out how to get CPU frequency scaling working yet, or Suspend/Hibernate.  When
> I select either suspend or hibernate the machine goes through some sort of preparation, the screen blanks then the fans stop, and
> power usage drops to under 5W. So far so good. However from that point it only wakes when I press the power button, not the
> keyboard or mouse.  The fans ramp up, the power usage jumps to 95-105W but the screen stays blank and the machine doesn't get any
> further than that.
>
> Is anybody else using Ubuntu 10.04 on a desktop machine of some kind and using hibernate or suspend successfully?  Is there
> anything tricky you had to do to get it to work?

I have this working on mythbuntu 10.04 on some machines (C2Duo based) but not P4 based motherboards.  At a guess its a motherboard
BIOS compatibility issue, the C2D's pretty much suspend out of the box.

My P4's seem to go through the motions of suspending, but then restart...!

Have you checked your BIOS settings?  WOL may be useful, but probably not a part of the problem here.