[mythtvnz] Pointers on how to track down machine lockup

Solor Vox solorvox at epic.geek.nz
Mon Oct 25 02:45:28 BST 2010

On Mon, October 25, 2010 12:06, Wade Maxfield wrote:
> OK, I've been running on the old PSU since last week.  The machine just
> randomly restarted now, after an error free uptime of over 12 days 10
> hours. There's still not many clues in the logs.  Is there some logging I
> can turn on that I may have missed?

Did you notice the last script /usr/local/bin/mythlink.sh?  Looks to me
that is the last thing logged before the reboot.

<snip>
> Oct 25 11:35:01 mythtv CRON[19514]: (root) CMD
> (/usr/local/bin/mythlink.sh)

<crash/reboot>

> Oct 25 11:39:41 mythtv kernel: imklog 4.2.0, log source = /proc/kmsg
> started.

<snip>

Looks like that script is for symlinks to human readable names.  Have you
run fsck on your filesystem(s) with all those crashes?

Also, how good is your power from the mains?  Any power protection
surge/UPS in fault condition?  If you're comfortable with bash, I'd
suggest writing a wee script to log CPU load, free memory,
temperatures/etc. and current date/time to a file every few 20-30 seconds.

A kernel panic could cause a reboot as well.  Have you changed or looked
at /etc/sysctl.conf for kernel.panic times?  (or look at sysctl -a)

Cheers,
sV