[mythtvnz] Android phones as remotes

Ross and Jemima Knudsen ross.jemima at gmail.com
Sun Oct 17 07:56:23 BST 2010

Hi all,

Thanks for the suggestions.

Lirc can listen to a network port for 'IR' commands.  I thought this
might be the best solution to my delay issues as there shouldn't be any
connection requirements as the sender would just send the commands
without checking if the other end is listening or not.

Mythweb is broken on my machine at the moment, Its waiting for a fresh
install to repair whatever conflict broke it.  But yes that is a good
suggestion.

Phone is Samsung Galaxy S, I don't think it turns off the wifi when the
screen blanks as I can still ping it over wifi when it has and get email
notifications.

Mythdroid looks quite good.  After a little playing around I seem to
have it mostly working.  Only issue is I can't get the Videos option to
work but it may be a program bug, have filed a report.

Jonathan's comments about the speed that he reconnects on iOS4 is
interesting, it may indicate that there is a problem with my mythbox
rather than the phone/mythmote.

Have filed a question to the mythmote devs to see if the kind of delay
is typical.  Also forgot to add that it takes the same amount of time to
connect when the app is started vs waking from standby.  In the first
case wifi would be active.