[mythtvnz] FrontEnds Controlling Audio Mains Power

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 10:12:42 BST 2010

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 9:29 PM, Tortise <tortise at paradise.net.nz> wrote:

> I measured the full off mains power current from a (FE) desktop PC.  Much
> to my surprise it is a full 25 W (0.11A) when off.

That seems unusually high. Mines showing a peak 0.05-0.06A, 11-14W. I'm
using one of these to measure:
http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/4cac38c201b747b82740c0a87f3b06fb/Product/View/M7319

What make is the powersupply? What's the motherboard? My guess is that one
of those two is to blame.

> Measuring tool: Fluke 73 Digital multimeter. A brief on test to the mythtv
> menus pulled 130 to 200W.  (460W PS, 3G Intel CPU and
> 9400 GT PCI)  Sorry I should have run some HD as well....

On my machine copying a 4GB file from an SSD to a mirrored pair of SATA
drives added approximately 20W to the consumption. Pretty trivial in
comparison to the CPU or GPU.

Cheers,