[mythtvnz] FrontEnds Controlling Audio Mains Power

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Sun Oct 3 01:42:39 BST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: Steve Hodge
To: MythTV in NZ
Sent: Sunday, October 03, 2010 1:22 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtvnz] FrontEnds Controlling Audio Mains Power

>>* does not have the software control possibility that I presume the kit does.  (See the circuit diagram)

>You can switch the PC off via software so with that as the master you've got some control. With USB sensing kits you'd have to be
>able to switch off USB power from a particular hub to get more control. I'm not sure if that can be done or not. You'd be better
>off with some x10-type gear if that's the requirement I suspect.

Steve I agree with everything else you said except the software switching option does not use the main VCC 5V rail which I think is
what you are implying here?  Reading the ciruit diagram (red fine print), the device can trigger from the USB D- line when doing
software switching and also alternatively from the VCC line for rail switching.

I am not sure what we'd do on the software end though to send D- trigger signals.  Perhaps you do?  (Maybe something like External
Device Power Off in http://www.mythtv.co.nz/mythtv/mythtv-articles/power-saving-tips/ ?)