[mythtvnz] New Hard Drive not performing well

Duncan Kennington duncan.kennington at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 21:24:40 GMT 2010

On 18 November 2010 09:42, Kenneth Dixon <kenneth.b.dixon at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 18 November 2010 08:53, Steven Ellis <steven at openmedia.co.nz> wrote:
>

>> I've used plenty of the WD Green drives and I don't see any performance
>> issues when using them as storage.
>>
>> Be careful doing Raid with them, just look up TLER in google, but
>> otherwise they are excellent value.
>>
>> Mind due I don't enable sleep on my drives so I'm no getting your start up
>> issues. Do you have the drive set to auto sleep after a short period?
>>

> Agreed, I have a couple of WD green 1TB (one internal and one external)
> both are used for storage and work fine for this purpose.
> However at one stage I was using internal one as a system drive as well and
> it was not up to the task.
>
> I have two WD 1.5TB drives, both XFS formatted and they're fine.  And to be
fair to Western Digital, there was a big sticker on the front of the
antistatic bag that they came in saying that it was formatted with 4k
sectors and some operating systems would need some configuration tweaks for
the performance not to be affected.  Pointed me to their website about it.
No problems at all.

Duncan