[mythtvnz] New Hard Drive not performing well

Steve V olivuts at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 17 07:50:45 GMT 2010

Hi,

I just added another hard drive to my Myth Backend box. I now have a 170Gb drive
for the operating system and I also have 3 drives, a 500Gb, a 1Tb and a 2TB
drive for storage.

The 2Tb drive is the new one. The 1 Tb and the 2Tb are both Western Digital
Caviar Green types. All of the storage drives are formatted as XFS.

All storage drives are set up in the Storage groups so Myth automatically
assigns recordings to a drive. It seems that all recordings are going to the new
2Tb drive right now, I guess this is because it is only 8% used while the other
2 drives are around 85% used.  The problem is that anything that is on the new
drives reacts very slowly to skipping or jumping. I can push the skip button,
the picture pauses and it can take 5 seconds for anything to happen, after 5
seconds the picture pixilates for a second then the recording starts 30 seconds
on. So skipping works but takes 5 seconds to happen.

If I view a recording that is on either of the other 2 drives I do not have the
skipping delay or the pixelation.

I'd appreciate any ideas on what is going on or any suggestions on tools to test
the hard drive performance.

Cheers