[mythtvnz] FFmpeg with gpu support

Brett Miller blmiller at slingshot.co.nz
Fri May 21 09:11:15 BST 2010

On 21/05/2010 12:13 p.m., Tony Sauri wrote:
> On Fri, 21 May 2010 08:56, Tony Sauri wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 20 May 2010 21:11, Brett Miller wrote:
>>
>>> You would think that mplayer, xmbc etc must have a modified version in
>>> their codebase ?
>>>
>> This trac ticket dated Apri; this year seems to indicate that Handbrake
>> have a patch that applies to ffmpeg r20817
>>
>> http://trac.handbrake.fr/changeset/3253/trunk/contrib/ffmpeg/A00-latm.patch
>>
>> But I have not investigated either
>> 	a) if it works, or
>> 	b) How recent ffmpeg r20817 is.
>>

> Update
>
> I have found a patch in the Handbrake SVN that refers to FFMPEg-r22950
> 	http://trac.handbrake.fr/browser/trunk/contrib/ffmpeg/A00-latm.patch
>
> and I have visually checked this with the trunk svn of FFMPEG which is I think
> revision 23206 and I can see no reason why it would not apply.
>
> Please let us know how you get on.
>
> Tony

Hi Tony,
Thanks for the link to the patch, it is later than the one I had used.

I've tried to apply it manually to ffmpeg r23143 because I already had
this to see if vdpau acceleration works.
Running ffmpeg from Mythtv there is no evidence of GPU use.
Maybe there is still only one vdpau instance possible or only one per X
session ?
FFmpeg (LATM patch) crashed at end of pass one; h264 LATM  to mpeg2 DVD
using AC3.
Playing the intermediate file in VLC shows the audio is good but the
video frame is same frame from beginning to end.
It may or may not be possible to play the intermediate mpeg file ?

So good news the audio works !

Will try running ffmpeg from cli/shell without Mythtv running.

Bottoms up (posting that is),
Brett