[mythtvnz] How do you make mythtv-setup 'see' tv_grab_nz-py.py?

Richard Clarke richard at clarke.biz
Thu May 20 21:16:34 BST 2010

Thanks for your responses so far to my query. I have just run
tv_find_grabbers from the command line and it still doesn't find the
tv_grab_nz script. It did find all the 'out of the box' scripts that come
with Mythbuntu. I then ran tv_validate_grabber and it came back with the
following info concerning the tv_grab_nz script.

richard at hda2:/usr/bin$ tv_validate_grabber tv_grab_nz
Can't exec "tv_grab_nz": No such file or directory at
/usr/share/perl5/XMLTV/ValidateGrabber.pm line 397.
Failed to execute tv_grab_nz --configure --config-file /tmp/wVyHnSd1ED/conf:
No such file or directory
Error returned from grabber during configure.
Grabber with --version failed: 32512, Inappropriate ioctl for device
Grabber with --description failed: 32512, Inappropriate ioctl for device
Grabber with --capabilities failed: 32512,
Use of uninitialized value $cap in split at
/usr/share/perl5/XMLTV/ValidateGrabber.pm line 212.
The grabber does not claim to support the 'baseline' capability.
The grabber does not claim to support the 'manualconfig' capability.
Configuration file /tmp/wVyHnSd1ED/conf does not exist. Aborting.
Grabber did not validate ok. See /tmp/wVyHnSd1ED/t_commands.log for a list
of the commands that were used
6 errors found.

Basically I think the script I'm using is failing at the validate phase so
mythtv-setup ignores it. I tried running the script from the commandline
without prefixing with python, i.e ./tv_grab_nz to see if the Python
environment was OK. It came back with an error like "Bad Interpreter:
/usr/bin/python^M"

After I had shut the PC down for the night it occurred to me that the "^M"
at the end of that error message might indicate an end of line problem. The
script I'm using has been copied from my Windows GBPVR machine and I have
opened it in an editor on that platform in the past. I'll try again with a
virgin copy of Hadley's script and see if it can pass the validation check.

Feel free to offer any further suggestions that occur to you, and thanks for
your help.

Cheers
Richard