[mythtvnz] Mythbackend and Apache2 fail to start at boot

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun May 16 08:19:11 BST 2010

On Sun, 16 May 2010 17:07:14 +1200, you wrote:

>Since building a Lucid Myth machine, (when Lucid was still in Beta) I
>have had a problem with mythbackend and apache2 not starting at boot
>time.  mythtv-backend is sym linked to 'upstart-job'.  It starts fine
>when '/etc/init.d/mythtv-backend restart' is called.
>
>I like to turn my machine off during the night and every so often in the
>morning I forget to manually restart the backend, recordings are missed
>resulting in low WAF.
>
>Does anyone know know to fix this?
>
>Thanks
>Graeme

Do you have a /etc/init/mythtv-backend.conf file for upstart?  This is
what mine looks like in Mythbuntu 9.10:

# MythTV Backend service

description     "MythTV Backend"
author          "Matt Mossholder <matt at mossholder.com>"

start on (local-filesystems and net-device-up IFACE=lo)
stop on starting shutdown

#expect fork
respawn

script
        test -f /etc/default/mythtv-backend && .
/etc/default/mythtv-backend || true
        exec /bin/su -c "/usr/bin/mythbackend $ARGS" $USER
end script

And looking at that, I think I need to fix it a bit - it is waiting
for lo to be up, but I have MythTV configured to use eth0 so I can
access it from other frontends.