[mythtvnz] System freezes thrashing HDD

Aaron Whitehouse lists at whitehouse.org.nz
Fri May 14 01:45:11 BST 2010

On 26/04/10 06:56, Steve Holdoway wrote:

> This statement is incorrect, as my example of a 1TB disk shows. It's (at
> least - there may be others) the 'R' of EARS in the part number that
> identifies disks with 4KB blocks.

Yeah, the disk that failed was not an Advanced Format disk, but the
replacement (a WD EARS 1TB) is an Advanced Format one (and I have made
sure that the partitions are properly aligned).

As someone said, I know that SMART doesn't detect all errors (though I
thought it was closer to the 50% figure than 1/3), but I've now had two
fail with nothing in the SMART logs... I guess that's statistics for
you. Still, getting a warning 50% of the time is a lot better than the
alternative!

Thanks for your help.

Aaron