[mythtvnz] Realtek NICs

Solor Vox solorvox at gmail.com
Thu May 13 09:28:27 BST 2010

On 13 May 2010 19:23,  <criggie at criggie.dyndns.org> wrote:
> Despite my earlier decent measurements with realtek NICs, I have three
> PCIe cards aside ready to install at the next reboot.
>
> I have massive problems with doing large backups over NFS.  The first
> 200MB-2GB works fine, but after that it can drop to a few hundred kB/sec.

I do nightly backups on my network.   On full backup days of my
desktop, it transfers over 300GB using a realtek onboard NIC.  While
it does take 5 hours to complete, that is because of hash comparison,
data pooling to reduce space, and running over SSH.

I just tested copying a 8GB file from my server to desktop.  Gnome
system monitor only reported 6.1MB/s.  However, using bash to "time
cp", it transfered in 410 seconds.  That works out to about 20MB/s
over user mode NFS.  Perhaps your tool isn't reporting the actual
speeds?

Have you tried to isolate the bottleneck using tools like vmstat?  And
checked things like NFS mount options such as rsize and wsize?  Also,
verify that your server isn't in a iowait trying to write the data to
disk.

sV