[mythtvnz] Realtek NICs

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Thu May 13 07:05:41 BST 2010

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 5:07 PM, <criggie at criggie.dyndns.org> wrote:

> Steve Hodge wrote, On 05/13/2010 04:28 PM:
> > On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 3:41 PM, Graeme Woollett
> > <g.woollett at irl.cri.nz <mailto:g.woollett at irl.cri.nz>> wrote:
> >
> >     See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1022411
> >

> > That thread seems to be saying that the problem is the driver not the
> > chip. It also sounds like it's specific to using the 8169 driver with
> > embedded 8111 or 8168 chips.
> > As I said I haven't had any problems with my 8169 PCI card. Thought I
> > can't say I've managed to hit full gigabit speeds on any of my gear.
> > File sharing is bottlenecked by CPU and/or disk well below the gigabit
> > level. Benchmarking with netio I can get about 58MB/s (TCP), still
> > limited by the CPU in the fileserver. Between my desktop and laptop I
> > can get up to about 75MB/s and it doesn't seem to be pegging the CPUs
> > (I guess it might be pegging one of the cores in the laptop). It seem
> > likely that the cheap switches I'm using are a bottleneck.
>
> That's dreadful.... that's not even "okay" for 100 Mbit, let alone gig.

Those numbers are bytes, not bits. And I think payload numbers rather than
raw bandwidth.

desktop
> 03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
> RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 01)
>
> server
> 02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
> RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 02)
>

> thionite:~# iperf -c caffeine
> Client connecting to caffeine, TCP port 5001
> TCP window size: 16.0 KByte (default)
> [  3] local 10.28.2.9 port 48654 connected with 10.28.1.2 port 5001
> [ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
> [  3]  0.0-10.0 sec  1.10 GBytes    942 Mbits/sec

Interesting. I'm getting about 467 Mbits/sec using my fileserver (rtl8169)
as the server and my Windows XP desktop as the client (Marvell Yukon 88E).
XP laptop (Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx) to XP desktop is worse. Since I'm
running three different varieties of nic and they're all limited pretty
severely I suspect either the switches or the cabling. But I can't say I'm
really bothered as I don't really have anything that can consume much more
than 60KB/s (that's the upper end of write speed of the drives I'm using).

Cheers,