[mythtvnz] DVB-T -> SD Analog TV

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Sun May 9 23:41:12 BST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: Steven Ellis
To: MythTV in NZ
Sent: Monday, May 10, 2010 10:21 AM
Subject: Re: [mythtvnz] DVB-T -> SD Analog TV

>>I agree.  The SD TV should display a picture at least as good as its tuned SD offering.

>>A little tangential however I have noted that playing HD over nvidia cards into "old" crt monitors e.g. 17" 1024x768 "max"
definition gives quite remarkably good results, far in excess of a 1024 x 786 pixellated performance.  (Although probably not quite
true HD still very good)

>>My presumption here is that this is because the CRT's are analogue - and therefore the dots are in reality more of a continuous
stream rather than the more modern dot basis gives a much better quality of display.  (The obvious parallel is the analogue disc
audio recordings vs digital)

>>It was interesting that old technology married to some newer technology is surprisingly good.   Anyone else noted this?

>I've done a lot of playback of HD streams over Composite or S-Video connections for customers and video quality is generally very
>good.

Interesting, sorry I should have said my observations were using VGA.  (CRT Monitors were noted)