[mythtvnz] DVB-T -> SD Analog TV

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Sun May 9 22:52:24 BST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nick Rout" <nick.rout at gmail.com>
To: "MythTV in NZ" <mythtvnz at lists.linuxnut.co.nz>
Sent: Monday, May 10, 2010 9:27 AM
Subject: Re: [mythtvnz] DVB-T -> SD Analog TV

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 8:59 AM, Graeme Woollett <g.woollett at irl.cri.nz> wrote:
> I'm setting up a mythbox for a friend that has an analog SD TV and a UHF
> aerial - no SKY dish. Do nvidia cards output a SD representation of the
> HD stream on their analog outputs ? Or am I destined to erect a sat dish?

>The software (myth, mplayer etc) scale to the available output, so you
can certainly do what you suggest.

I agree.  The SD TV should display a picture at least as good as its tuned SD offering.

A little tangential however I have noted that playing HD over nvidia cards into "old" crt monitors e.g. 17" 1024x768 "max"
definition gives quite remarkably good results, far in excess of a 1024 x 786 pixellated performance.  (Although probably not quite
true HD still very good)

My presumption here is that this is because the CRT's are analogue - and therefore the dots are in reality more of a continuous
stream rather than the more modern dot basis gives a much better quality of display.  (The obvious parallel is the analogue disc
audio recordings vs digital)

It was interesting that old technology married to some newer technology is surprisingly good.   Anyone else noted this?