[mythtvnz] My New Setup

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sat May 8 03:33:30 BST 2010

Hi

On 8 May 2010 07:40, David Kirk <davidrkirk at gmail.com> wrote:
> I got a Antec NSK1480 case and put a Gigabyte GA-M85M-U2SH motherboard
> in it.  The motherboard has a NVidia GeForce 8200 chipset built in.
> That motherboard was very hard to get hold of.  There were a few
> online vendors who showed that they had them, but when it came time to
> order, they didn't have the stock and couldn't get it.  I ended up
> getting it from Global PC for a lot more that it was being advertised
> everywhere else (even after the discount they gave me).  What's really
> disappointing though, is that there are some other cheaper
> motherboards available with GeForce 7xxx chipsets on them.  Aparently
> they also support VDPAU.  Too late, it's done now.

It seems that you went to great length of trouble, for something that
is really.... outdated already and won't give you much satisfaction
The 8200 IGP doesn't have much grunt and will struggle even with VDPAU.

The 7xxx do not support VDPAU, only XvMC which is for mpeg2 only. In
NZ, you definitely want VDPAU.

You should have looked at the nvidia 9400M based motherboard, so a ION
system for a frontend or the Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H.

Price-wise, you probably would have been better off with a generic,
cheap intel based motherboard and get a discrete nvidia GT220 video
card. That would have provided you much better performance.

Jean-Yves