[mythtvnz] Hardware Recommendations

Brett Miller blmiller at slingshot.co.nz
Wed Mar 24 04:03:44 GMT 2010

The Asus en9400GT has DVI-I & DVI-D & component dongle connector.
Can drive three independent screens.

The later nVidia chipsets have better driver support & more hardware
decode capability.

I use the DVI-A to VGA cable to CRT (VGA input) & DVI-D cable to small LCD.
The component output was just as flexible configuration  as the VGA.
The VGA was just a tidier solution.

VGA is analogue RGB with separate H & V sync.
SCART can connect composite, s-video & RGB+sync.
Some (very few) SCART (crap spelt wrong) devices accept RGBs.
SCART RGB sync can be combined on green ? or into s-video luminence ?
Can make an adaptor to combine the sync signals & stuff into one of the
s-video lines.

DVI-I is DVI-D & DVI-A in same connector: can use adaptor to VGA &
adaptor to HDMI.

Normal 19 pin HDMI is single link only (fine for 1080p) & was speced by
consumer electronics groups.
DDWG DVI supports dual link speced from computer industry groups.

If you a concerned about future connectivity then VESA Displayport
connector is the way...
VESA Displayport is DVI with all the nasty DRM stuff from HDMI built-in
for our benefit.