[mythtvnz] HDMI video cards

Jonathan Hoskin jonathan.hoskin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 20:14:24 GMT 2010

> Question is, what would a video card with HDMI output display during
> boot, and what resolution is it?

In my case, I have used three different combinations:

8500GT -> DVI -> HDMI Adaptor -> TV
9400GT -> HDMI -> TV
Macmini (9400M) -> Mini DisplayPort -> DVI Adaptor -> HDMI Adaptor -> TV

In all three cases, they show POST / BIOS Access (or the Apple Firmware &
Logo), and all the boot messages. These are low resolution internally, but
are scaled up to 720p by the card. The card must be detecting what the TVs
highest supported progressive rate is and outputting that to the panel.