[mythtvnz] All the different EPG options....

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 21:04:23 GMT 2010

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 9:29 AM, Kelvin Smith
<kelvins at kelhome.dyndns.org> wrote:
> Hello
>
> Been looking at all the developments over the past few weeks etc with Sky.
>  I currently use Reven for updates, and are now thinking of sorting out
> the EPG prior to it breaking.  I have had a quick look around mythtv.co.nz
> to try and find information.  Perhaps someone could create a page there
> that references other stuff, or explains it all.
>
> I am currently running 0.21.  I have downloaded epgsnoop 0.81-0.83.  All
> of them give me the same result... nothing.  I am running this on a DVB-T
> source only.  When I say nothing, all I get displayed is the start and end
> XML tags.  No programs displayed.  When run in debug mode, I get lots of
> errors like ID 1205 (and other numbers) not a valid something.  This is
> off Wharite.  SO, can epgsnoop work with teresstial data?
>
> I understand that the EPG on Terrestial is only 2 days, not 7.  is this
> correct?
>
> So, to get EPG.  Found the ability to get EPG data off freeview, although
> this is not in XMLTV format.  I found a script which gets them (hads
> wrote), but I gather is old(?) as it does give movie info, categories etc.
>
> Today I see mentioned xmltv-proc-nz which requires the XML.  Is this XML
> taken from epg.co.nz or from the freeview site.
>
> What I really want is this:
> Preference is to get the EPG data from Freeview than off epg.co.nz
> website.  But, also want the categories etc for this.  What does one use.
>
> If there was one page that explained it all, this would make it so much
> easier.
>
> Also, the EPG guide.  Apparantely  pressing F12 should bring it up.  Is
> this a 0.22 feature.  Does RedButton, when installed just work, or what
> integration is required into mythtv.
>
> Sorry for all the questions, but just want to understand the options.

IMHO for freeview your best option is tv_grab_nz-py. Just google it.

Install it executable in /usr/local/bin and make sure the xmltv
package is installed. Then set it up as normal in mythtv-setup.

For Sky, I am not sure. Certainly getting a DVB-S card and a Dish  and
using epgsnoop would work, and would give you another tuner for all
the freeview channels (albeit SD, although so are most of the DVB-T
channels)