[mythtvnz] epgsnoop

Aaron Pelly apelly at monkeymasters.co.nz
Sun Mar 21 20:14:04 GMT 2010

On 2010-03-22, Steve Hodge wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 10:58 PM, Aaron Pelly
> <apelly at monkeymasters.co.nz> wrote:
> On 2010-03-21, Hadley Rich wrote:
>
>> Post processing means that you can normalise program titles (CSI, C S
>> I, C.S.I etc.), get rid of things like "All New The Simpsons" or "Chuck
>> HD" though that last one is mostly a Sky thing, add category
>> information, add episode titles, add HD flags, add movie and cast
>> information etc. etc.
> It seems plausible that a fairly small amount of cleaning could
> constitute an original work...
>
> A small amount of cleaning would constitute a derived work. You can't
> take the latest Harry Potter book, fix whatever spelling mistakes
> haven't yet been caught and republish it without permission. Not even
> if you change the names...
>
> Cheers,
> Steve

I see your point, but I don't think that's a fair analogy. Harry potter
appears to be entirely original, whereas, as discussed previously, the epg
appears to be a collection of facts. By extension, also from earlier, if
effort and creative merit are really not correlated, it seems likely that
regrouping the same facts creates another original work. All I am suggesting
is that improving the quality of those facts looks like a good thing in this
regard.

Aaron.