[mythtvnz] epgsnoop

Hadley Rich hads at nice.net.nz
Sun Mar 21 04:49:59 GMT 2010

On Sun, 2010-03-21 at 16:21 +1300, Matt Poff wrote:
> Does EPGSnoop offer any advantages to DVB-S users viewing only
> Freeview channels? Presumably all the data is from the same EIT
> source
> so the answer is no. Are the Sky listings for the terrestrial
> channels
> any richer? I was using the 'enriched' remote feed from Hads which
> merged individual programme listings from Sky for the graveyard
> schedule of BBC World on TV One but alas this is gone.
>
> I guess the EPGSnoop content would at least allow some local post-
> processing via XSLT or somesuch to replicate that behaviour.

Yes as Nick said, post processing is the advantage to using external XML
rather than the EIT feed directly in myth.

Post processing means that you can normalise program titles (CSI, C S I,
C.S.I etc.), get rid of things like "All New The Simpsons" or "Chuck HD"
though that last one is mostly a Sky thing, add category information,
add episode titles, add HD flags, add movie and cast information etc.
etc.

You can currently do this with both epgsnoop and xmltv-proc-nz so
there's a bit of duplication there. I'll look at adding the BBCWorld
processing to xmltv-proc-nz so that the nzepg.org feed can utilise it
for the freeview data.

hads

--
http://nicegear.co.nz
New Zealand's Open Source Hardware Supplier