[mythtvnz] RF remote works with linux?

Nick Wallingford nickw at beekeeping.co.nz
Wed Mar 17 20:29:06 GMT 2010

I just got a remote yesterday, a Hauppauge similar to the ones described
in this thread.  The output from lsusb -v doesn't give the same TopSeed
Technology Corp ID as described, but I didn't have *too* much trouble
getting it all to work pretty well - thanks for the lircd.conf, Geoff!

The key layout is different again from most that I've seen, but it sure
beats having the keyboard as the only viable controller!

But I wanna go further!  The mythtv wiki describes how some MCE type
controllers are minimally programmable.  That is, on/off and vol up and
vol down buttons can be taught the codes from another device.  My
interest is I want to use the power on/off to turn the TV power on/off -
currently the last thing I have to have that remote hanging about for...

But the various instructions such as
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MCE_Remote describe holding down DVD menu and
OK until the backlight goes off, etc - but my remote isn't backlit.  How
can I tell if my remote is 'teachable', and how do I go about it?

Thanks!

Nick in Tauranga