[mythtvnz] [Fwd: Sky Television: Infringement of rights]

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 07:48:56 GMT 2010

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 7:44 PM, James Gray <james6.0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I wonder what it would cost to buy the rights to the EPG data?..  ie
> > what if we were to play their game?
> >

> http://www.tv3.co.nz/ContactUs/FAQs/tabid/62/articleID/71/Default.aspx
>
> $2000 per month... and I think that's just for TV3. I posed a
> tentative question to this list a while back to see who would be
> likely to pay, say, $15-$20 per month to access a licensed and quality
> checked XMLTV feed, and mostly got the "well we can get this for free"
> response

Given that $15-$20 per month will pay for a DVB-S card in pretty short order
I don't think it'll fly at the moment even if Sky can keep the xmltv data
off the net. Personally I'd be willing to pay about $5 (maybe $10) per month
if the data had reliable season and episode numbers attached. Don't think
any of the local broadcasters have that data themselves unfortunately.

Cheers,