[mythtvnz] [Fwd: Sky Television: Infringement of rights]

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 01:03:09 GMT 2010

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 1:25 PM, <criggie at criggie.dyndns.org> wrote:

> I'd guess that Sky pays a fee to the copyright holder via the
> distributor chain for access to the program/season, and part of that
> will cover "supply and permission to use the descriptions etc"
>
> So Sky got sucked into paying for that info themselves.

Not only that, it's also a revenue stream for them since they sell SkyWatch.
Hardly surprising that they'd want to protect that revenue.

It does seem backward to me though as the EPG/SkyWatch is simply an enabler
for their core business which is getting people to watch TV. The harder you
make it for someone to find out about programs and scheduling the less TV
they will watch and the less likely they are to continue to subscribe. It's
similar to the movie studios that try to make it difficult for people to
download movie trailers. WTH would you want to make it difficult for people
to watch an advertisement for your stuff?

Cheers,