[mythtvnz] [Fwd: Sky Television: Infringement of rights]

Simon Green simon at simongreen.name
Tue Mar 16 20:58:55 GMT 2010

On 17 March 2010 04:41, James Gray <james6.0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Somebody needs to take this through court, IANAL but an EPG is a
> collection of facts, which can't be copyrighted in itself.
>
> I remember the first guy who got a takedown notice (years ago, I can't
> remember who is was) got offers for donations to a legal fund, but he
> wanted no truck with it...
>
> It's most frustrating that it always ends up this way

In Australia, Nine (the tv network) took IceTV (a for profit company that
provides EPG listings to court). Ice TV lost the first round, but won in the
high court.
http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/tech/58E69A940B505EACCC25733200726597?Opendocument&HighLight=2,ice,tv
However,
NZ and Australia copyright laws are very different, as pointed out by the
Sensis decision over here (even the phone book can be reproduced here)
http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/newmedia/court-shock-right-to-copy-directories-upheld