[mythtvnz] Strange issues with TVOne and TV3

Pshem Kowalczyk pshem.k at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 00:03:55 GMT 2010

Hi,

Over a month ago I bought the Nova-500-TD (diversity card). After
initial issues with setup (internal splitter vs external one, cables
etc) I got it going. Everything seems to work fine, expect every now
and then a longer show (any movies around 1.5h and over) recorded of
tvone or tv3 has a minute or two of completely distorted picture and
garbled sound, then is all good again. It seems to be someone periodic
- somewhere between 90-100 minutes between the 'bad' patches. The
issue is definitely with recording not playback - the file has issues
in exactly the same places when played on different hardware/software.

There are a few suspects (gathered mainly from various sites I read
whilst trying to identify the problem):
1. The implementation of the remote in the driver (I use the remote
that connects to the card directly) - every now and then I get to see:
dib0700: Unknown remote controller key: 001d 2e d1 and a wrong key is
interpreted. I think high number of those entries roughly coincides
with the 'bad' patches.

2. the VIA usb controller that is on the card - apparently it doesn't
work very well in some scenarios under linux.

3. I think it might have something to do with bandwidth somewhere -
the issue is only present in HD recordings, but I have no idea where
the bottleneck might be. The raid5 setup (md) that I have can write up
to 100MB/s, so I don't think it's a disk issue.

I have a gigabyte M85M-US2H (rev 1.2) motherboard.

If you have similar setup or experienced similar problems - please let
me know. After a few weeks of investigation I'm getting a bit lost.
Before I get a new capture card and/or remote I would like to know if
it has a chance of actually fixing the problem.

Thx in advance.

regards
Pshem